Ports of Auckland Custom GIS Solution
Enhancing maritime productivity through geospatial mapping software
Ports of Auckland Limited (POAL) is owned by Auckland Council via its investment arm. The Auckland Port is New Zealand’s largest container port, supporting both trade and tourism. POAL is committed to the thoughtful use of port land and responsible infrastructure development. POAL aims to give New Zealanders access to better-value goods, tourism opportunities and a world-class port. This benefits the community and local exporters.
Extending port capability through GIS infrastructure
As a large-scale maritime operation, POAL holds a significant amount of computer-aided design (CAD) data. With one CAD operator and no easy way to share this data with port users, POAL’s asset information was not visible outside the organisation’s infrastructure team.
POAL recognised the need to extend its capabilities by converting CAD data to geographic information systems (GIS) data, and identified the following requirements:
- Introduce an enterprise mapping system
- Reduce costs by spending less time searching for data
- Collect data once, but make it available for use many times
- Reduce liability by providing correct data to contractors
- Reduce turnaround times, and expedite construction andmaintenance projects
- Improve communication and customer satisfaction
Data conversion and geospatial web mapping
AAM’s custom solution guided POAL through a phased approach that combined technologies to convert the organisation’s data, develop a prototype and deliver a map viewer.
- Feature Manipulation Engine (FME), a powerful data integration platform, to convert CAD data for use in Esri’s ArcGIS mapping software
- ArcGIS server for publishing converted data
- Geocortex Essentials map viewer for POAL users to view and interrogate the data
- Custom tools to allow POAL to perform specific tasks, such as reporting data issues and linking document locations to map features
- Geocirrus, a fully-hosted geospatial platform to deliver POAL’s map services and viewers
POAL’s web mapping system improves communication among port staff.
Improved port operations delivered via geospatial mapping platform
AAM’s self-serve GEOCIRRUS solution provides POAL users with easy access to spatial tools and data when and where they need it. It has also helped direct the organisation’s focus on improving data for the future.
- Increases information availability and scalability through a web-based platform
- Reduces liability through data accuracy
- Eliminates delays in accessing information
- Reduces costs and increases return on investment throughefficient use of data
- Improves communication of operational information among port staff